EU Blue Card

Germany depends on being open and connected to the wider world. On 1 August 2012, the law implementing the EU’s Blue Card Directive entered into force. In particular, this law has streamlined visa application and right of residence procedures for skilled professionals from abroad. The EU Blue Card is a residence permit issued by an EU member state in accordance with the new EU guidelines on highly qualified workers from abroad.

You can apply for an EU Blue Card if you fulfil the following requirements:

  • You have a German degree, a recognised foreign higher education degree, or you have a foreign higher education degree that is comparable to a German higher education degree.
  • You already have a concrete job offer from a company in Germany.
  • The position must be appropriate for someone with your qualifications (higher education degree).
  • The position in Germany must be remunerated with a gross annual income of at least EUR 56,800 (in 2021). A gross annual salary of at least EUR 44,304 (in 2021) is required for employees in the fields of mathematics, IT, natural sciences, engineering, and medicine. In such cases, the German Federal Employment Agency must approve your request for employment.
  • If you live outside the EU, you will generally require a visa for the purpose of gainful employment which will be issued by the competent German diplomatic mission. You can enter Germany with this visa. Before the expiry of the visa, you must subsequently apply to the local immigration authority for the EU Blue Card.

The following exceptions regarding the visa apply:

  • Nationals of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand, or the United States of America may enter Germany without requiring a visa, and must subsequently apply for the EU Blue Card within three months, and before taking up employment.
  • Individuals who have held an EU Blue Card in another EU Member State for at least 18 months may enter Germany without requiring a visa. They can then apply for an EU Blue Card for Germany within one month of entering the country, that is, before taking up employment.
  • Individuals who are already living in Germany and hold another residence title may file an application for the EU Blue Card with the competent immigration authority in their place of residence.
Let our team assist you in applying for the EU Blue card and make sure all the necessary documents are in place. We look forward to you reaching out to us!

What opportunities does the EU blue card offer?

The EU Blue Card is issued for the duration of your work contract, including 3 additional months, and is limited to a 4-year period. It is possible to be granted an extension if certain requirements are fulfilled. Your local German Foreigners Authority must approve of any job changes taking place within the first two years of employment.

After 33 months, holders of the EU Blue Card may obtain a settlement permit. In some cases, a settlement permit can be issued after 21 months. For this, you need to be able to provide proof of the required language skills of at least a B1 level in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).

Looking to live in Germany with your family? This is possible for holders of the EU Blue Card. Everything you need to keep in mind, in addition to the applicable requirements, can be found under Family Reunification.

Our Services:

  • Extensive consultation on Blue Card
  • Preparation of the visa application
  • Verification of the university degree with Anabin
  • Accompaniment in the visa procedure: Taking over the complete correspondence with the embassy
  • If the visa is denied: preparation of the remonstration
  • In the case of further rejection: representation in the proceedings at first instance
  • After entry: Taking over the correspondence and preparation of the application at the foreigners authority
  • Registration at the local registration office

Additional Services:

  • In the case of further rejection: representation in the proceedings at first instance
  • Support for family reunification
  • Preparation of the application for a settlement permit

Please provide us with following documents for the application:

  • Copy of your passport
  • Copy of your spouse’s passport
  • A biometric picture of you
  • A biometric picture of your spouse
  • Copy of your marriage certificate
  • A translated version of your marriage certificate
  • Copy of your university degree / original
  • Copy of your university degree / translated in English
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Letter of intent or work contract offered by a company in Germany containing a detailed job description

If you have children, please also provide the following documents:

  • Copy of your children’s passport
  • Copy of the birth certificate

Contact Us

  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden

Valerie Tiet

Lawyer and head of the Immigration Law Department

Do you want to start a company or begin working in Germany, or is your family already here and you would like to join them? Are you interested in studying at one of the many universities?

We offer legal consultation for the countless opportunities to live and work in Germany. In the process we’ll focus on the legal demands but will support you in practical matters like the move itself.

We at GHENDLER RUVINSKIJ Attorneys at Law are experts in the areas of immigration law and the rights of immigrants as well as labor, contract, corporate, tax and commercial law. With this much experience we can answer any question concerning immigration, which would be especially interesting for business founders or self-employed people.

From preparing the visa application to the issuance of the residence permit, we are glad to be your contact and competent companion throughout. We’ll offer you plenty of support while you establish your business or build a new life in Germany.

We look forward to you reaching out to us!